Icon Group Director of Research and Clinical Haematologist Dr John Bashford recently appeared live on the Icon Cancer Centre Facebook page, where he returned to answer further questions about COVID-19 and how cancer patients can keep safe during this time. Dr Bashford was joined by Icon Group Medical Director Dr Ian Irving.
Throughout the video, Dr Bashford answered a variety of questions from our patients, including:
- 1.19 – How is Australia progressing in terms of COVID-19? Are we flattening the curve?
- 2.42 – Does Australia’s success in flattening the curve mean that restrictions should be eased?
- 4.17 – As a past or current cancer patient, am I safe to leave the house and attend to various tasks such as grocery shopping?
- 6.52 – Do certain types of cancers or cancer treatments place you at higher risk?
- 9.36 – Is there a particular blood test to identify if I’m immunocompromised?
- 10.46 – If I’ve recently been diagnosed with cancer, should I begin cancer treatment now or delay this until the end of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- 14.40 – Is it safe to attend my Icon centre for treatment? What measures are in place to protect the health of patients and staff?
- 17.37 – Should patients wear gloves and a mask when they visit their cancer care centre for treatment?
- 19.58 – While I’m undergoing cancer treatment, what else can I do to keep myself healthy?
- 23.04 – How quickly does the immune system bounce back after cancer treatment?
- 25.23 – If I’m undergoing chemotherapy treatment and contract COVID-19, am I guaranteed to have a bad outcome from the disease because I have cancer?
- 27.05 – Do we know why the risk of COVID-19 exponentially increases with age?